Thursday, June 20, 2013

Puff and Sip on the Beat



the Cuban the Tokaji and the Punk

I do not smoke, but sometimes I like to treat myself with a delicate cigar. A great treat, especially sitting outside the veranda in Trinidad with a chilled Tokaji Szamorodni or Aszu. 

The best solution I have found so far is a Cuban with a Tokaji to lock out the mad world and  clean my head and thoughts.


Armed with the perfect tools, a Cuban and a Tokaji, both are made to enjoy the moments of our lives,  following traditions dating back to hundreds of years for creating perfection, I am ready to go into deep meditation.

I am ready to leave this crazy world behind and step up to heaven and say Hi to the Gods; Jesus, are you ready for me?!

Hakuna Matata!

I have a bottle of Tokaji Aszu 4 puttonyos, vintage 1991 



The harvest in 1991 was not so special in Tokaj, as a very low amount of aszu berries were collected but some nice vinos were produced just like this one.



The Lady of Freedom. 





22 year old, still young, even though it opens up very slowly. Shy in the nose, heavy and meaty, oily structure, on the palate: raisin, apricot, pineapple with the honey sweetness of acacia, an intensive hint of the Furmint's present, quince apple right in your face with determined acidity.

In 1991, 16th of June, the last Soviet soldier left the free and independent country of Hungary. 


Over 500 years Hungary, our land was soaked and covered in tears and blood by the Ottoman Empire, the Habsburg Empire, lost two world wars, lost 75% of its own territory, stomped and raped by Romanian, Nazi and Soviet soldiers. 



This wine is the free and independent Hungary's first vintage from Tokaj Historical Wine Region! 



Also a multi award winning wine:

International Wine Contest, Moscow, Russia, 2004 Gold
I. VinAgora Botrytis International Wine Contest, 2008 Silver

II. VinAgora Botrytis International Wine Contest, 2009 Gold

14. Budapest Wine and Sparkling Wine Festival - Wine of the Festival


The wine is chilled to 12C, sits calmly in my glass placed front of me on the table. A little bit shy as it was hidden away in deeply carved cellars, stored in Zemplen oak casks for so many years. Just waking up, slowly. Heavy, oily and meaty, the aromas creeping towards to me, carrying rich fruity notes into my nose.  

As I take a deep breath, feels like these scents kneaded  into a sword. 

Cutting deeply in my flesh, breaking through my chest, that's how my Tokaji Aszu's finding its way to my heart. 

Looking at the deep, dark golden fluid I feel the ancient fire burning inside the Aszu, with blazing fire licking my heart pumping sweet blood in my veins. 

The colour of this nectar effective like voodoo magic, grabs, squeezes and rips out my soul. Takes me back to the beginning,  when my forefathers were riding their horses through the Steppes, heading to the great mountains of the Carpathians to find and take back the land of our forefather, Attila, who once ruled Europe. 

I pick the cigar from its box, a Cohiba Robustos. As I lift it to my nose, my grandparents horse stable came to my mind first, the washed horsehair, dirt and earth, dry straw, deep tobacco and cedar notes with a hints of sweet spices, it is a meaningful heavy cigar.  I can hear the carefully selected and rolled leaves  subtle cracks under my fingers, it is perfect. 

It is time to start the ritual, and I need to choose my music, the beats to fly on.  

I wanna hear the drums, as the Táltos - shaman - calls the ghosts of great warriors of the 7 tribes of Magyar people,  I wanna hear the "rege" about my ancestors,  the great sagas of Magic Stag, the Sword of God, I want to become one with the Universe.


It took me a long time to find the perfect music for the wine and cigar to relax and free up my mind  but I think i could not choose better band than the legendary Vágtázó Halottkémek if I want to leave this dimension behind. 

Before turning the stereo on, I like to wash  out my mouth with some water, to refresh my palate. 

Take a little sip from the wine, to enjoy its pure beauty then let the journey  begin. 

Tokaji Aszus are famous about their complexity, their aroma notes are countless, you can enjoy a sip forever and its delicious aftertaste will stay on your palate for endless time with thoughts running through your mind about the sweetest moments of life. 

Take little sips, hold it on your tongue and roll it over your palate, let it cover your mouth and feed your tasting buds! Enjoy every drop of  the nectar!

My grandfather told me how to clear my palate after a heavy Aszu; he always used a dry, crisp white wine and just after he had a few nips went to wash out his mouth with water. 
The best way to refresh your palate! 

I need to do this if I wanna taste and enjoy a few puffs of the cigar on its own. 




When I light up my cigars I always leave a few seconds to play with it, to let the smoke dance around me like hummingbirds around the flowers in the garden. Just how the morning mist covers the hills of Northern Range, the smoke swings around me.

Heavy stuff, but the peppery, leather notes of the cigar will be calmed by the sweet and exotic flavours of the wine creating ecstasy through the beat of the VHK' song. 

I am in trance,  feel like the Universe opened up around me, every little sip, or puff feels like taking a bite from the stars, the music leading me far away from this planet to reunite with the creating power of the Galaxy. 

The sound of ancient instruments,  every hit on the drums , the chanting of the singer all are turning into an armada of  flavours and aromas,   to rapture my soul and heart.


This Cohiba Robustos is a cigar I possibly would enjoy with a power and flavourful red wine such as Tignanello or Sassicaia as well, but as a Tokaji man myself I stick to my Aszu.

The sweet almost honey sweetness, dried fruit and citrus hints with creamy and oily structure screams for Tokaji even thought there are plenty of cherry, chocolate, coffee and intensive leathery twists can be recognized on the palate especially from half way through  the cigar, it is perfect for our 22 years old Aszu.

The wine like a warrior breaks through my tasting buds,  through the thick smoke it is like a battlefield.  

The cigar's complexity can not stop the Aszu,  wrestling the Cohiba with its dried exotic fruity flavours till the two become one,  forming an overpowering aroma fire ball on the palate and burning through my pharynx at each gulp just like a meteor from out of space.

A fantastic experience, absorbed in the war of flavours through the etno punk music of VHK. 

Just like a therapy, but possibly cost you way less than signing up to a proper psycho doctor.

Personally I like to do a session like this once every months, uplifts me, clears my mind and soul from the everyday stress until it feels like I could take on the whole world on my own!  

High 5,Gods, Ferenc is passing by!



Being in the Caribbean, enjoying the finest moments of life I have mentioned  front of local wine makers my cigar and Tokaji experience, and talked about bringng the Aszu and cigar culture together, it was over 2 years now. Did not really have anybody to support my idea to bring Tokajis to the Caribbean at the first place, so you can imagine the reactions over this new idea. Total shock, absolute panic on the faces; disrespectful, stupid man with big dreams.
NOW 
I would like to highlight what it really happened at the 12th Annual International Habanos Sommelier Contest in Havana, Cuba:
"Peter Döbröntei, of Hotel du Vin, Harrogate came third in the competition after impressing the judges with his pairing of Royal Tokaji Aszú Blue Label 2008 with a Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Espeicial cigar."
Peter front of the judges at the Sommelier Contest in Havana, Cuba  March, 2013
“I wanted to take a beverage from my native Hungary with me and thought of a Tokaji Aszú wine because it has a fascinating history. After tasting a number of wines, I selected Royal Tokaji Aszú 5 Puttonyos Blue Label 2008, because this Aszú has great freshness from the acidity. I paired it with a Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Espeicial, because this cigar is a lighter bodied cigar, with some sweetness and spices on the palate.” From the Drink Business 28.03.2013.

Congratulations, Peter! I am very proud of you, brother! 

DREAM BIG AND BE BRAVE ENOUGH TO MAKE IT BECOME REALITY!


No comments:

Post a Comment